Sunday, November 4, 2012

USA - The New Chapter

There has been a significant break in my posts over about the last year.  First it was the move from Christchurch to Wellington and more recently from Wellington to Tampa, Florida. In fact since moving here (3 months ago) I have not been very enthused about food because it is so difficult to get good basic ingredients (see my rant below). However I am slowly getting back into it after purchasing a Cusine Art food processor and Kitchen Aid free standing mixer (I couldn't get the good old english Kenwood here :( ). So watch out I will be back online!

Chloe


RANT
An example - I can not get good puff pastry. The only thing close that the supermarket sells is "pie crusts" - which taste DISGUSTING like they are full of chemicals. Similarly it seems near impossible to get custard power (which I use in my melting moments), nor good quality dutched cocoa. Oh and don't even get me started on the bread! And don't think I have tried just one supermarket but Publix, Fresh Market, Whole Foods and Trader Joes (I will admit at Trader Joes I bought good quality NZ cheese!). Perhaps Americans don't bake like we do in NZ because Costco (a huge bulk warehouse club) doesn't even carry cocoa powder!

No comments:

Post a Comment