Easy Sticky Lemon (Meringue) Slice
Recipe was requested by Fritha
This recipe is a family favourite which we have been making for years, infact I even took it on form two camp. It is an easy way to use up some lemons, and takes little time to provide something delightful for afternoon tea.
I personally can't be bother grating lemon rind, but feel free to add the rind of two lemons. I don't feel the extra effort adds significantly more flavour, however this is debatable.
This recipe has been adapted from Julie Le Clerc's.
1 1/2 Cup Flour
3/4 Cup Sugar
175 g Butter (softened)
5 Small Eggs
1 3/4 Cup Caster Sugar
Juice of 4 Large Lemons
1/3 Cup Flour
1. Preheat oven to 180C
2. Cream butter and sugar using an electric beater.
3. Add flour and beat until combined, then turn out into a 20 x 35 cm lined tin and press until mixture is spread evenly in tin.
4. Bake for 15 minutes, remove and reduce oven to 140C.
5. Beat eggs and caster sugar using a clean electric beater and bowl until thick, pale and sugar has dissolved.
6. Add lemon juice and sift in flour. Fold in, until just combined and there are no lumps before pouring out over baked base (butter, sugar and flour mixture).
7. Place back in the oven and cook for a further 40 minutes.
8. Remove from oven and allow to cool slighly before cuttig.