I Love You Lemon Curd Cupcakes
These were inspired by a trip to Marthas Pantry, which I posted about a few months ago, however never got around to giving you the recipe. They are like little Madeira cakes with a dollop of lemon curd in the centre, and smothered in lemocello cream cheese buttercream frosting.
What I like about this recipe is the ricotta makes the cake quite moist and dense. Delicious!Ingredients
2 Lemon Zested
2 Cups Sugar
2 Dessertspoons Lemoncello
150g Ricotta (light)
3 1/2 Cup Flour
3 Teaspoons Baking Powder
2 Tablespoons Milk
Lemon Curd - I make my own, but you can use good quality store bought Butter Cream Frosting with 1 Tablespoon Lemoncello folded in
1. Preheat the oven to 180C.
2. Cream butter, sugar and zest together with an electric beater.
3. Add eggs, one at a time and beat after until thick. Fold in lemoncello, milk and ricotta, then flour and baking power.
4. Spoon into pattycake cases and cook for approximately 15 - 20minutes, until golden brown.
5. Allow to cool and cut down into the top of the cake creating a downward facing circular pyramid shape, which can be pull out of the cake in one piece.
6. Place a dollop of lemon curd into the hole created and place the pyramid shape piece of cake back into place.
7. Ice with butter cream frosting and serve.
For the frosting, I am not very good with measurements (am lazy with them when it comes to icing)... I beat 200g softened butter with approximately 1 1/2 Cups icing sugar. Sometimes a teaspoon of boiling water is required or more icing sugar. In this case I add a good tablespoon of Lemoncello for flavour (you could perhaps add some finely grated lemon rind as well).
Note: that you want enough icing sugar in the frosting that it will set, therefore you don't want it to be extremely soft, but hold some shape when piping it onto the cakes.