I will be honest, I had never heard of this until Carter requested it (it is a famous Italian dish).
I am not a huge fan of slabs of meat however I have made this various times for Carter and other guests (including my brother, mother and father). I will say the saucy vegetable mix which the meat is cooked in is delish (and even though I am not a meat fan it was pretty good too). My favourite part is the risotto, however Carter will argue that the risotto does not even compete with the meaty goodness. Have a try and you decide!
3 Medium Onion
½ Green Pepper
½ Red Pepper 3 Carrots, Peeled 3 Stalks Celery 6 Cloves Garlic
50g Butter 1/3 Cup White Wine 1/3 Cup Brandy 1 Tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar 2 Tablespoon Tomato Paste 2 Cans of Crushed Italian Tomatoes 1 Sprig Rosemary
4 Sprigs Thyme
2 Bay Leaves
1 Teaspoon Mixed Herbs
2 Cups Chicken Stock
2 Cloves Garlic Good Squeeze Lemon Handful Parsley
1. Preheat oven to 160C.
2. Place chopped vegetables into a fry pan with the butter and sautee.
3. Add rest of ingredients minus the meat to pan and heat until warm.
4. Place meat in a casserole dish with a lid and pour liquid and vegetables over the top.
5. Cook in the oven for about 2.5 - 3 hours until the meat is almost falling off the bone
6. Chop parsley up very finely with garlic then combine with lemon juice.
7. Serve with a white wine and fennel risotto and a small serve of parsley mix on top