Sunday, July 24, 2011

Mains: Pizza Dough

Pizza Dough

When I was in Tampa, Florida. Carter's Mum, Sylvia, bought the largest pizza I think I have ever seen home for a late night dinner (after an exhaustive day of shopping (I had lots of fun, however I am not sure Carter felt quite the same way)).

After getting home I decided I wanted to replicate it (however at a smaller scale, as the pizza she brought home wouldn't even fit in our oven!). I found this recipe for pizza dough in Julie Le Clerc's Simple Cafe Food. Usually I would use a bread maker however at the flat we don't have that luxury. It was a fabulous recipe, however I would recommed rolling it out thin, so you can fold it while eating it (like we did in Tampa). Also don't add to much topping as this detracts from the magic of a pizza.

The photo shows the dough just before I rolled it out thinner.



Ingredients:
1 1/2 Cup Water, Warm
1 Teaspoon Sugar
2 Tablespoons Active Yeast
4 Cups Flour
1 1/2 Teaspoons Salt
1 1/2 Tablespoons Olive Oil

1. Place water, sugar and yeast in a bowl and place in a warm place for five to ten minutes.

2. Mix flour, salt and olive oil into water mixture, then turn out onto a floured surface.

3. Knead dough for approximately five minutes until a frim dough is established.

4. Place dough in an oiled (I use baking spray) glass/ceramic bowl and leave in a warm place for at least 30 minutes.

5. Knead/roll out into pizza bases and place your choice of toppings on top.

6. Bake at 200C for approximately 20 minutes until the crust is golden.



No comments:

Post a Comment