Thursday, February 3, 2011

Mains: Mussels with Green Thai Curry Broth

Mussels with Green That Curry Broth

I love mussels. Ever since I tasted Bruce Manley's Mussel Fritters on a family holiday at the beach I have been obsessed. I used to make a tomato and red wine broth, but I promise you this is so much better! I am not a HUGE coconut fan therefore always use lite coconut milk (not coconut cream). 


Ingredients
1 Bag Mussels (I get enough to full a large stock pot)
2 Onions, Sliced
3 Heaped Teaspoons Green Curry Paste
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon Brown Sugar
400 ml (1 can) Lite Coconut Milk
200 ml  Trim Milk (I use the empty coconut can to measure i.e. approx 1/2 can)
1 Tablespoon Sweet Thai Chili Sauce
1 Cup Beer (I used Tui in this case as was first I put my hand on)

1. Clean mussels in sink and pull off beard.

2. Place mussels in a large saucepan and boil until they open - approx 10 minutes (do not eat any that did not open).

3. White mussels are boiling, place onions and oil in a medium sized saucepan and saute until translucent.

4. Add rest of ingredients simmer for approximately 5 minutes until mussels are ready to be drained.

5. Drain mussels (discard of unopened ones) and pour broth over top.

6. Dish into serving bowls, using togs (to remove the mussels from the saucepan) and a soup ladle to pour the both over the top.

7. Serve with crusty bread (to mop up the yummy broth).

No comments:

Post a Comment