After being corrected by Carter every time I offered him a Ginger Biscuit when we were in NZ or Aust, I finally got to try a Southern Biscuit. They are traditionally served with gravy, however I tried them for breakfast filled with Southern Fried Chicken. I will be honest it was delish, however possibly not so good for my waistline! It tasted like a cross between scone and dinner bread roll. I decided to try and make these myself, after a good half hour of googling.
2.5 Cups Flour
2 1/2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1 Tablespoon Sugar
1/2 Cup Butter
3/4 Cup Milk
1. Preheat oven to 200C.
2. Mix flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a bowl, the grate in cold butter.
3. In a separate bowl whisk together egg and milk.
4. Add the milk mix to the dry ingredients anmix untill just combined.
5. Turn out on a floured bench and roll or pat out untilis about 1.5cm thick.
6. Cut out rounds and place on a baking paper lined tray.
7. Brush with milk or a milk/egg mix and bake for approximately 10 minutes until risen and golden brown.