Baking: Herritage Azores Cake (Island Cake - Bolo da ilha)
Heritage Azores Cake (Island Cake - Bolo da ilha)
My Nannys (grandmothers) family originally came from the Azores (Portuguese island inbetween Portugal and the USA). This cake originates from there (I found it as part of an ancestry project when I was at high school) and has become a cake i make about once or twice a year. The original icing recipe was not quite right, so that has been adapted but apart from that it is quite authentic.
3/4 Cup Sugar
Just under 1 Cup Flour
2 Dessertspoons Dutched Cocoa
2 Tablespoons Honey
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 150C.
2. Beat eggs and sugar together until pale and fluffy.
3. Add honey and beat until combined.
3. Add flour, cocoa and cinnamon and mix fold into mixture.
4. Pour into a greased and floured pan and back for 35 minutes.
5. Allow to cool.
6. Cut cake in half (through the middle), and fill centre with half icing.
7. Place top of cake back on and ice top of cake aswell.