Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Bit on The Side: Lemon Curd

Lemon Curd

I am not a fan of waste. Therefore whenever I make something that just contains egg whites I make either, Lemon Curd, Custard, Creme Brulees or the list goes on. My lemon curd recipe has therefore had to vary for 2 - 3 egg yolks to 5 - 6, therefore my measurements have become quite approximate.  

I use lemon curds in pastry cases to serve as a dessert in itself, in cakes, muffins, icings and on toast. I am sure you will find many uses for it.

Note: Passionfruit curd can be made using passionfruit pulp instead of lemon juice and reducing the sugar to 3/4 cup.


Ingredients:
3 - 4 Eggs Yolks (Depending on size)
100g Butter
1 Cup Sugar
2 - 3 Lemons, Juiced

1. Combine butter, sugar and lemon juice in double boiler until sugar is dissolved.

2. Remove from heat allowing to cool slightly before whisking in egg yolks (to ensure you get no scrambled egg through your curd) and returning to heat.

3. When mixture coats the back of a spoon, pour mixture into sterilised jars to store in fridge.


No comments:

Post a Comment